Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Amador Valley Quilt Show (California): Day 2

We recently attended the annual quilt show of the Amador Valley Quilters in Livermore, California, with the theme "Colors of the Vineyard". This prolific guild had two big rooms full of fabulous quilts It's difficult to decide which quilts to feature, as they were all wonderful ! Let's continue with Day 2.

(We're featuring fun books, patterns, and fabrics at very low prices on Quilt Inspiration E-Bay !)

Zinger by Gretchen Crozier


Gretchen notes, "I had a challenge to use a "zinger" fabric. The "zinger" is my background."  (We believe that Gretchen is referring to the swirled light-colored fabric just inside the border). 


Gretchen adds, "I had a wedge ruler for years and never used it, so why not? I used piping in the wedges to make it easy to turn under raw edges."  Gretchen herself quilted this original design.

Rendezvous in Florence by Linda Schmidt


Linda says, "Won't you meet me in Florence, Italy? It's a lovely, bustling, friendly place, where flowers bloom in window boxes, and the streets are full of bicycles, walkers, and vendors of jewelry and silk scarves."


Linda, who quilted this project based one one of her photos,  continues, "Ahh...Florence ! Wish I was there."  And, observing Linda's very detailed street scene, complete with blue shuttered windows and pretty flowers, we wish we were there also !

Mauna a Hoku by Charlotte McConkie


Charlotte explains, "This quilt is the result of the mystery quilt from our 2014 Amador Valley Quilters retreat and is made in Hawaiian fabrics. Ultimately it will be given to my daughter who lives on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Thus, it is fitting to give it a Hawaiian name, "Mauna a Hoku", which means "mountains and stars".


Charlotte quilted this project herself. Flowers and petal-shapes in the quilting pattern mirror the tropical floral patterns of the fabric.

Ballerina by Lulu Ainsworth


Lulu remarks, "I saw this quilt (from Bobbie G Designs) made up in a vendor's booth at the Folsom (California) quilt show a few years ago. Since my granddaughter is an avid dancer, I had to make it for her 9th birthday. "


Lulu adds, "The only thing I changed was to add her name instead of the word "dancer". Pat Hove embroidered [my granddaughter] Grace's name for me. Thank you, Pat !"

Antique Sampler by Laurie May, quilted by Laurie May and Debbie Coleman


Laurie writes, This was a block-of-the-month from In Between Stitches Quilt Shop. Tina Plohetski offered a drop-in class to teacher the paper piecing techniques. Even though I had promised myself not to do any more hand quilting on a large quilt, this one just asked to be quilted the old-fashioned way.


Laurie continues, "I completed the hand quilting at several retreats during the past couple of years. Debbie Coleman quilted the border. I love what she did. I had also asked her to machine baste the quilt for me. That made the hand quilting much easier !

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, fabulous show.Anyquilt is an eye catching.Hard to choose only one best favorite.Thanks for sharing pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a variety of themes and talents. Thanks for sharing. I always love to see what other quilters are making :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are fabulous - admire everyone of them - especially the Florence one. That's on my travel bucket list. Ballerina Grace is so lucky to have such a talented and thoughtful grandma. Thanks for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful quilts! I love Zinger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for publishing the quilt by Linda Schmidt -- we are leaving for Florence on Thursday... and now I'm even more excited!
    I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid! And i'll bet the daughter that gets the Hawaiian prints is going to be very happy.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails